PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTED WORKS
Academic Citations & Peer-Reviewed Journals
- Williams-Sanchez, V. (2022). Culturally relevant marketing strategy: Conceptualising a critical pedagogical approach to multicultural marketing strategy. Journal of Cultural Marketing Strategy, 6(1), 1–12.
- Williams-Sanchez, V. L. (2021). READING BUILDS EMPATHY: PILOTING A LITERACY TOOL TO MEASURE READING'S IMPACT ON KIDS'EMPATHY DEVELOPMENT.
- Williams-Sanchez, V.L. (2019). The Brownies’ Book. The Reading Professor.
- Williams-Sanchez, V. (2015). The Cocoa Kids Collection Thesis: Revaluing Children of Color's Lives Through Children's Literature. Academia.edu
- Reading Builds Empathy: A Correlational Study: Measuring Reading's Impact on Affective, Cognitive and Ethnocultural Empathy. [Conference presentation]. The 22nd European Conference on Literacy Convention, Dublin, Ireland (July 4-6, 2022). https://www.literacyeurope.org/
- Digital Memoir Workshop. [Conference Workshop]. Dwelling: A Virtual Symposium by Cultural Literacy Everywhere, (May 11-13, 2022). Hosted by the University College Dublin, Ireland.
- "Culturally Relevant Strategy to Achieve Meaningful Project Outcomes: A presentation to PMI Westchester" PMI Westchester, Chapter Meeting. April 12, 2022.
- "Website Basics for Consultants: A Breakfast Roundtable Presentation for PMI Westchester." PMI Westchester. March 23, 2021.
- ILA 2020—Shaping the Future of Literacy: 2020 Vision. The Brownies' Book to Cocoa Kids Collection Books: History's Call to Action, Today. October 15-18, 2020. Poster session. Columbus, OH. International Literacy Association. (Conference canceled due to coronavirus concerns).
- "Eddie and the Hot Cocoa Hot Rod" Reading. Orange County Children's Virtual Book Festival, September 14-26, 2020.
- "In the Beginning Was the Word" Moderator. Say Ah! Racism & Health Literacy, A Free Online Series to Advance Health Equity, August 24-26, 2020.
- Digital Marketing to Grow Your Business, July 28, 2020. Presented for Women's Venture Fund, New York, NY.
- The Brownies’ Book to the Cocoa Kids Collection: Cultural Literacy Artifacts that Teach and Inform the Future, May 14, 2020. Presented to Cultural Literacy in Europe Symposium, University of Lodz, Poland and online.
- Celebrating the Anniversary of THE BROWNIES’ BOOK by W.E.B. DuBois, Apr. 27, 2020. We Need Diverse Books (www.diversebooks.org)
- The Brownies' Book: A Call to Action for Today, April 7, 2020. Presented for the World Literacy Summit 2020, Oxford University, England and #WLS20 online. (Preview above.)
- MarCom: Successful Strategies for Marketing and PR, June 27, 2019. Presented for Women's Venture Fund, New York City, NY.
- Lorena and the Magic Mocha Mirror, Featured Author Reading, March 9, 2019. Studio Museum Harlem and NY Public Library’s “Books, Authors, Kids” program, George Bruce Branch of New York Public Library, New York City, NY.
- The Cocoa Kids Collection, Author Talk and Book Reading, April 10, 2016. Nyack Library Local Author Book Fair, Nyack Library, New York.
Annual Reports (Project Management)
- Precision Ophthalmology at Columbia, Columbia University Irving Medical Center, Department of Ophthalmology, (p. 71, 2016).
- Precision Ophthalmology 2020: Applied Genetics, Columbia University Irving Medical Center, Department of Ophthalmology, (p. 83, 2019).
Art Installations & Exhibits
- Home, Rockland Center for the Arts, West Nyack, NY. 2017.
- Valory, the Koi of Courage (2.0). Figment Festival,
-Clark Park, West Philadelphia, PA., 2014
-Rose Kennedy Greenway, Boston, MA. 2013
Magazines & Feature Stories
- Williams-Sanchez, V. L. 2022, June 9. The Face of the American Shopper Is Changing, ANA Forward Magazine. https://www.ana.net/magazines/show/id/forward-2022-06-bluechip-multicultural-shop.
- Hook Magazine: Arts, Culture and Community of the Lower Hudson Valley. "Tuning Up; Rose Raccioppi Tunes with APOGEE AcuTone," published October/November 2014
- NBPC’s “AfroPoP: The Ultimate Cultural Exchange,” Caribbean Shorts Series, Filmmaker Interviews, August 2014:
"A Small Life with Grand Visions"
"A Modern Day Middle Passage"
"Vivre: A Young Boy's Flight of Reality"
- How Breast Cancer Changed Me, More magazine online, Readers Voices (2012).
- Letter to the Editors, Injuve, Madrid, Spain (1990)
Bylines as Staff Writer (Reporter), and Graphic Researcher
- Long Beach Press Telegram, 1994-1996
- Miami Herald, Broward Edition, 1994
- Los Angeles Times, Orange County Edition, 1992
Books & Anthologies (fiction)
The Cocoa Kids Collection Books (and Copyright registration)
- Lorena and the Magic Mocha Mirror© (2018) - TX0008605962; ISBN - 9781483478036
- Eddie and the Hot Cocoa Hot Rod© (2015) - TX0008345961; ISBN - 9781483441733
- Isaiah and the Chocolate Mountain© (2015) - TX0008016627; ISBN - 9781483419312
- Williams-Sanchez, V.L. (2015). Care Instructions for Love. Visible Ink, (7). Memorial Sloan Kettering.
- Williams-Sanchez, V.L. (2013). Sisters of Circumstance. Visible Ink, (5). Memorial Sloan Kettering.
Children's Book Reviews by Valerie Williams-Sanchez
Mulicultural Children's Book Day, 2021
- The Big Day, by Terry Lee Caruthers, Illustrated by Robert Casilla. Star Bright Books (2021).
- Juneteenth for Mazie by Floyd Cooper. Capstone Editions, (2021).
- The Escape of Robert Smalls: A Daring Voyage Out of Slavery, by Jehan Jones-Radgowski; Illustrated by Poppy Kang. Capstone Editions, (2020).
- Rice & Rocks, by Sandra Richards and illustrated by Megan Kayleigh Sullivan. Wise Ink Creative Publishing (2016).
- Little Man, Little Man: A Story of Childhood by James Baldwin, illustrated by Yoran Cazac. Duke University Press (1976).
- Sofia Martinez: Every Day is Exciting by Jacqueline Jules and illustrated by Kim Smith. Capstone - Imprint (2018).